Tune It Up! is a digital music toy that allows players to create a short composition using a drag and drop interface. There are 3 themes to choose from, each with a unique set of art and musical notes, as well as random events that can start a score-based mini-game or change the composition's tempo.
This project's creation was funded by the Iowa City Public Library and the primary development target was a 1080p touch-enabled table housed in the children's area of the library. For the best experience, we recommend running the app on a touchscreen large enough for multiple players to collaborate, but if you don't have a touch device available, you can still enjoy the game using a mouse.
In the downloadable versions only, an "Administrator Menu" can be opened at any time by pressing Ctrl+Shift+A. This menu allows certain game options to be set and allows the user to manage saved compositions. Additionally, a "Debug Menu" can be opened by pressing Ctrl+Shift+D.
"Local game developer encourages you to Tune It Up!" - Little Village Magazine
- Tap or left click anywhere on the grid to spawn a note
- Tap/click and drag from one of the four note "containers" to spawn a corresponding note, release to place it on the grid
- Tap/click and drag any existing notes to reposition them on the grid or drop them off-grid to delete them
- Mouse users can also right-click a note to delete it
- Double tap/click one of the four containers to designate that container as the "active" one (notes generated by tapping on grid will come from the "active" container)
- Tap/click the THEME button to change themes, the DEMOS button to cycle through some built-in compositions, or CLEAR to erase all placed notes
Programming by Izzy Kestrel
Art by Clover Greenhalgh
Music & Sound Effects by Reid Turner
Created with Scirra Construct 2
"Smart" spritefont by Eeve Somepx
Funded by the Iowa City Public Library